streda 19. júna 2013

MELK Benedictine Abbey





This Baroque abbey was rebuilt between 1702 and 1736 and as you know I am usually taken by or impressed with old churches,  but this Benedictine Monastery is certainly something very special -  it takes your breath away.







Sitting majestically high on a bluff overlooking both the Danube River and the the town of Melk in Lower Austria it is an impressive sight even before you go up the hill and enter the grounds.





Having read Umberto Eco's mystery novel "The Name of the Rose"  I do remember Adson von Melk one of the novels protagonist's, a tribute to this Abbey and it's famous library. Once you have traveled through the abbey including the new bastion, it 's Coloman courtyard, Marble Room, spiral staircase, Library , Abbey Church, The terrace gardens and Pavillion plus the eleven (11) rooms of the museum, with frescoes statues, ceiling paintings and other art work I think you will feel as I do: this is truly a worthy world heritage site that cannot be missed of you are ever anywhere near Vienna or Lower Austria










8 komentárov:

  1. The Benedictine Monastery is quite a piece of barroque architecture!Thank you for the nice photos.I´m eager to visit it as soon as possible.

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  2. Gorgeous photos of a majestic monastery. Thanks, Viera, for introducing such a beautiful must see place.

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
    Odpovede
    1. Thank you dear Maria... This monastery is really very beautiful...really it is worth to see...

      Odstrániť
  3. Thanks so very much, Viera, for the kind suggestion I heard from my sister. It's a pain I can't accept it. I'm sure I would have a very enjoyable time together with you in your beautiful city. Maybe in the future I'll have either that great pleasure or I can welcome you in Oporto... Take care... Clara

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  4. You're welcome dear Maria...Great to know that you're interested in visit of our city. I would like to introduce my city for you as well. I hope next time...I wish you a nice holiday...

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  5. Máš tu veľa pekných fotografií z miest, kam sa ja ešte len chystám.

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  6. Danielka so turistický sprievodca, tak to mám ľahšie...Verím ale , že to ľahko dobehneš... Melk rozhodne stojí za to...

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť